Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pack Another Scarf

Patty is going to be my job supervisor this year, and though she and I have only communicated through a telephone interview and via numerous e-mails, I already know that I like her. As the Executive Director for Joseph's House, the hospice I will serve at, she is a busy woman, yet she has always taken time to answer my many questions (and there have been a lot!) with thoroughness and compassion. And at the end of each e-mail, after saying how excited the Joseph's House family is to meet me, she tells me to "take gentle care."

This phrase caught my attention from the very first e-mail. Take gentle care. Maybe Patty can already sense that often I take care of others better than I take care of myself. That I struggle with holding myself gently. Maybe after over a decade of working at Joseph's House, a resting home for formerly homeless men and women dying from AIDs and other terminal illnesses, Patty knows that every life needs to be handled like a precious, fragile gift. Either way, her words are a gracious reminder to me.

I've spent the past six months in eager anticipation of today. In a few hours, I will hop on a red-eye plane to the East Coast landing just in time to begin my Jesuit Volunteer Corps (JVC) orientation in Pennsylvania. After a week of preparation, I will then travel with my six housemates (yep, I get to share a bedroom again!) to Washington, D.C. Our first week there will be spent visiting the different work placements of our housemates and then on August 20th I finally get to begin my time at Joseph's House. I can't wait!

Now that the time has come to leave this Washington, though, I have to admit that I am nervous. Nervous that the one bag I am allowed to bring to orientation may just be a little too big. Nervous that in the midst of all my excitement I have perhaps not prepared my mind and spirit as well as I could have for a year that will be wonderful but also extremely challenging. Nervous that I may not be as much of a blessing to the people I will meet as I desperately want to be.

Yet as all the doubts line up, another voice speaks saying "take gentle care." Not just of others, but first of myself. Take gentle care. A deep breath. And it will all be alright.

It is going to be a crazy year! To find out more about what I am doing and where I will be, check out these sites:

http://www.josephshouse.org

http://www.jesuitvolunteers.org

Next stop -- the East Coast!

4 comments:

  1. We are all so proud of you Neshia! Do "take gentle care"! And come back and dance with us soon! Aloha nui!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! already?? Wow! Take care and be safe! Deploying aloha bubbles your way girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray for a great successful year for you baby girl. God bless you and protect you in all you do. I love you always. Post something mo Ma n Na, e print e aunty Manu e ave e faitau ai laua. O alolofa tele mo oe le pele.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have faith in you Neshia! You will find yourself so much stronger than you ever believed. Able to do more, endure more and embrace joy more than you can imagine today. e malama pono.

    ReplyDelete