Monday, November 12, 2012

The Meditation Room

There is a room in Joseph's House specifically set aside as a place of stillness and meditation. I like to tiptoe into it when the house gets quiet and sit with Gracie, one of the four cats that roam throughout the halls, amongst the pillows and candles. In the meditation room are things needed to help someone find peace: a Bible, a statue of the Buddha, incense, books of poetry, pens and paper. I find comfort in the traditional symbols of my faith and in the newer expressions of my spirituality, but I always find myself drawn to a framed prayer hanging by the altar. The words resonate with me and I share them with you in hopes that it may help you find a place of rest as well.

"Let it not be death but completeness.
Let love melt into memory and pain into songs.

Let the flight through the sky 
end in the folding of wings over the nest.

Let the last touch of your hands
be gentle like the flower of the night.

Stand still, O Beautiful End, for a moment,
and say your last words in silence.
I bow to you and hold up my lamp to light you on your way."

- Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment