Monday, March 4, 2013

This I Believe

Tonight, my house was brimming with guests. Every JV community is given a spiritual liason who helps guide and support the volunteers. Bill is ours and he has been fantastic. He believes in inter-faith dialogue so we have visited a Jewish synagogue, a Sikh temple, a Muslim mosque, and will be going to a Buddhist monastery next month. Once a month, he also comes to our house with pizza to lead a reflection. More importantly though, Bill believes in each of us. His pride in our work and his appreciation of our experiences has been such an encouragement for me and my housemates.

For this month, Bill brought pizza and seven former Jesuit Volunteers (FJVs) who all live in the city. Three of them had lived in our house and all were eager to be with us. One of them, a lady named Grace who had done her service year in Seattle, led us all in a reflection inspired by NPR's 'This I Believe' series. We listened to a recent interview by Father Greg Boyle and then to a 'This I Believe' list by a really impressive 6 year-old. Grace then gave us time to write our own belief list. Here is mine.

I believe that no one should die alone.
I believe in not speaking unless your words are more beautiful than the silence.
I believe that God is faithful, even when I am not.
I believe that hands are meant to be held.
I believe in answering phone calls at 3 in the morning.
I believe in watching the Sun rise.
I believe in loving someone even though you know he or she will die.
I believe in being honest.
I believe in holding yourself gently.

1 comment:

  1. Neshia. I absolutely love NPR's "I Believe" series, but your "I Believe" statements are among the most beautiful ones that I have ever read. Thank you for sharing them and your invaluable self with me.

    ReplyDelete